Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bake 52: Large Danish Braid

Jennifer chose this week's recipe, and it wasn't one I should have procrastinated making until today. Not because it took a long time (which it did), but because it was so super yummy!  I have never been fond of danishes. I think it's because most of them have cream cheese, and I don't like cream cheese. Now that I can make them myself and leave out the cheese, I could eat them all day. I want to try this in every flavor, shape and size.

The book suggested 4 different fillings: apricot, prune, cream cheese, and cheese & cherry. You know cream cheese was out for me, but cross out the cheese before cherry, and we're talking! But I didn't have cherries in my pantry, and I didn't want to go to the store. So I improvised with frozen fruit I had in the freezer. Here is my blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry danish:
I was grateful to have seen Jennifer's post before assembling it. Thanks to her, I mostly avoided an over-juiced danish, but not completely. I strained my fruit, then put a few spoonfuls of juice on top. I should have gone without the spoonfuls.

I was running out of time, so I skipped the 30-minute rising step. It's a little on the flat side. But other than a few glops of frosting, the presentation's not bad.

When you've got a day to hang out at home and roll out the dough several times throughout the day, I suggest you try making this. You can get the recipe on Jennifer's blog.

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

That looks wonderful! Wow! I'm very impressed! Tony would love it as he loves danishes. :)

Amanda said...

It's so beautiful! Glad to know it still works out without the rising time. And glad that you liked it!