Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bake 52: French Toast Casserole

This recipe sounded great. The only questionable thing to me was letting the bread soak in the egg/milk mixture for up to 24 hours. Even after toasting the bread to dry it out, I worried about it coming out soggy. That is exactly what happened. It had a sweet, crisp top and bread pudding underneath.  

I am curious to try this recipe again and experiment. I may try halving the liquids and baking it right away rather than letting it sit. That could lead to disaster, but I'm willing to try. I'll let you know if I ever do it.

If you're a bread pudding kind of person, this recipe might just be for you.  Head over to Valerie's blog for the recipe.



4 comments:

Valerie said...

Let me know if it works out with less milk & eggs. I also wondered if I dip the bread in the mixture, cooked it like regular french toast and then put it in a pan with the topping. Then just cooked it long enough to have the sugar mixture melt and get crispy.

Mark and Shauna said...

I've noticed French Toast Casseroles coming up on pinterest a lot lately, so I gave a version a try and we didn't like it. It was soggy and tasted eggy. The idea is great though, I hate standing at the stove making french toast and would much rather find a way to do it all at once in the oven:).

Amanda said...

I am with you, I think with a few tweaks this could really be great! You'll have to let me know if you get something to work and I'll do the same. I like Valerie's idea too!

Unknown said...

I am interested to find out if other ways of making this turn out any better. We found it a bit soggy too! I am not sure I will make this again. This was easy to pull together and the thought of making a recipe the night before is appealing.