Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Album of the Day!
For my fellow Christmas music lovers, I am going to try posting a new Christmas album each day of December. Some will be classics, others may be ones you've never heard before. I'll try to accommodate a range of musical styles. These will all be albums I have listened to all the way through, so I'll tell you a bit about the album, and suggest my favorite tracks, if you just want to download a few new songs.
*Click on the title and artist to listen to 30-second samples on Amazon.com*

Today's album is:

Joy to the World
by Faith Hill


Track List:
1. Joy To The World (she needs to come to Utah and sing this with the Tabernacle Choir!)
2. What Child Is This?
3. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
4. Little Drummer Boy
5. Oh Come, All Ye Faithful
6. Holly Jolly Christmas
7. Away In A Manger
8. O Holy Night!
9. Winter Wonderland
10. Silent Night, Holy Night!
11. A Baby Changes Everything

When I first saw the track list for this album, I worried that it would be too overdone. I think that sometimes artists ruin the classics by trying to make them too original and not hitting the mark. Faith Hill, however, stayed true to the classics. Backed by an orchestra on most songs, she sings the classics beautifully. The one original, "A Baby Changes Everything", I wasn't sure about when I heard it in passing. After really listening to the lyrics, though, I think it captures a lot of the emotions Mary must have been feeling at the time leading up to Christ's birth.

This is another album I would suggest buying in it's entirety. However, if you want just a few, my favorites (though it is hard to choose) are: "Joy to the World", "What Child Is This?", "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town", . . . oh who am I kidding--I even like the songs I usually skip over on other albums (Little Drummer Boy . . .). The whole thing's a keeper for me! You'll have to listen to samples and decide on you're own!

2 comments:

Adam & Ady said...

Why does this not surprise me :) You and your Christmas music!! :) I love it!

Beaner said...

Hey isn't your birthday tomorrow. or was it yesterday. I think it is Dec 4. Have a Happy Birthday.
Pam